Sunday, June 7, 2009

Tassle Pasties

Tippytoeing towards Richmond on Friday afternoon, yours truly expected a weekend of sappy movies and competitive card challenges with my dear Emily. I might add here that I am always looking for people to play with, any and all directions. I digress. The thought was not made in vain, for this was precisely what happened that evening, but the rest of my trip worked beyond my supposition...

After witnessing the never-lacking-in-beautiful-people-and-beautiful-vehicles: Fast and the Furious 4 for $2, the renaissance-themed Byrd theatre presented a wonderful mix of slightly nutso homeless people (though how many of us really can say we are sane?) and clusters of VCU students killing time on a Friday night.

The next afternoon we spontaneously perused the canal system, running about downtown Richmond with curious glances towards historical signs and the closed (though very easy to break into, it seemed) Virginia Holocaust Museum. All a lazy afternoon leading to an extremely sultry night...

As we searched Richmond.com for something exciting to do, Godfrey's called with something called The Swagger put on by Sweet Tease Burlesque. Woo. I admit that it was the best show I have ever witnessed for $10. The women, stage names: "Eros", "Scona", "Spiked Punch" and "The Muse" (pictured on the right). Once they stripped to their lingerie, I was caught between glaring guilt and absolute adoration for not only these women's beautiful bodies, but the confidence with which they carried themselves in what surely--as I could imagine myself trying to take knee-highs off all sexy like--were not easy or smooth tasks to accomplish.
As I watched the tassles hanging from their pasties circle 'round and 'round like some kind of hypnotic and erotic parody from The Graduate, I asked to no one in particular if they change them. Do the tassles come pre-attached to the pasties? Or are they individual products simply matched by the interpretation of the artist? If I hadn't known what theatrical costume work was before, I know now. From here on out, I vow to observe the combinations of the tassle and the pasty textures and colors to elucidate the persona of the character in burlesque fashion. Enough said. Afterwards, "Boom Boom Pow" and "Day and Night" took me and Em directly to the hardwood.

Sunday finished a wonderful weekend with a trip to Belle Isle, a swimming area along the James River that boasts a ton of cool things to see and wondrous (and a bit shaky) bridges to cross. Applebees, Dairy Queen and a drive back to the 'burg towards the sunset topped off what I hope was just the beginning of adventures to come, Summer of 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment